Friday, January 15, 2010

The Adventure Begins!

Hello! As I'm sure you are all aware, I will be spending this semester in Copenhagen, Denmark with the Danish Institute for Study Abroad. I received my host family information last Friday, and I am very excited! I will be living in Greve, Denmark, which my host family says is about a 25 minute train ride from Copenhagen, and their house is a 5 minute walk from the train station. Not bad, considering some Gettysburgians have AN HOUR long commute! I am staying with the Birk Nielsens: Susan manages a travel agency and Peter has his own company and works with a company out of the Netherlands promoting and marketing their products in the Baltic and Nordic area. They have two children: Julie is 17 and in high school and Mathias is 14 and in primary school. Their school system must be different over there because Peter said that one of Julie's majors is Spanish, and that she was excited that I spoke some. Huh? Majors in high school?? I guess I'll have to brush up on my Spanish, because I am really rusty, since I haven't really spoken it in 3 years! The extent of what else I know is this: they live a few hundred yards from the beach, they have two cats (though I don't know their names) and they just got back from a two week vacation in South Africa. Peter is the one who wrote the e-mail, and his English is great! Plus he also seems really funny...we'll get along well, since I laugh at everyyything.

I went in early in the morning to Kingswood and spoke with my English teacher, Mrs. Brewitt, who has traveled all over the world, and she says that Copenhagen is her favorite place, so now I'm wicked excited! I'll be flying out of Boston Logan tomorrow at 8:35 pm with IcelandAir, then changing planes in Reykjavik, Iceland before landing in CPH at noon (their time) on Sunday. I guess I have a whole bunch of workshops the first day, then I will meet my host family and head home with them. I am excited and nervous! I had a momentary panic attack today because I tried to print out my boarding pass and it said that there was no record of me. I booked with Vayama, so I thought it didn't go through and I was panicked! Turns out the 1 that I so carefully denoted when I wrote down my confirmation code was actually an I. It all turned out fine, and I've got my boarding pass now. I picked up my kroner (Danish currency) today, so now I'm pretty much set. Except for some packing...so I guess I should go! My next post will be from the happiest country in the world! Fahvel (farewell) for now!
~Kyla

No comments:

Post a Comment